This is not meant to be didactic, despite how it may sound. I’ve been asked to describe my diet. The primary label is modified diabetic diet. I’m not diabetic, but the diet works for me. If you’ve heard of the Primal or Paleo Diet, there will be some similarities. It’s also vaguely similar to the old Atkins Diet. However, the focus is more eclectic than those. There are guidelines which cannot be considered absolute rules:
- No grains; no sugar added or any other sweetener except Stevia.
- No GMOs, especially soy or corn, nor any products from them.
- A predominance of fresh raw vegetables, though cooked is fine.
- Limited fruit consumption.
- Meats from free-range animals or wild game; no CAFO meats at all.
- Canned fish is fine, fresh or frozen is better, but currently I try to avoid Pacific sea food (Fukushima).
- Eggs, dairy, and especially yogurt are good.
- Nuts and legumes are good.
- Butter, olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil are all good.
- Filtered water, coffee and tea made from them; no juices.
I didn’t get to this regimen overnight. I first went semi-vegetarian to flush toxins, and stopped all processed meats. At some point, my body complained it was too weak, and I begin searching out sources of safe meat. Once I found them, I began tapering off on breads, then dropped grains altogether. I tolerate whole grain rice flour added to some meat dishes, or perhaps something like organic blue corn flour, but not much. It sounds austere, but I eat as much as I want of everything, and often break up meals. Thus, after a morning workout, I might have a meat dish alone. Then later I’ll make a huge salad (oil and vinaigrette dressing, pepper and salt only).
I drink an awful lot of filtered water all day long, mostly in conjunction with workouts. When it’s over 80°F (27C), I come close to drinking a gallon during a 26-mile bike ride. However, once I actually began feeling the weight loss, water consumption did reduce a bit naturally.
Since beginning serious efforts at fitness in May, I’ve dropped from 235 to 218 currently. I don’t have a target weight, nor do I aim at any particular visual effect, though less is more, obviously. I’m simply trying to be faithful to what I sense is the leading of the Spirit. Some of this is miracle, so don’t imagine it has to work the same for you.